Kennesaw State University Guidelines for New Academic Programs
New Degree Programs (involving External Instruction)
New Certificate Programs
Note: Embedded certificate programs are contained with or embedded in a degree. Embedded certificates do not require BOR approval. Stand-alone certificate programs are not associated with a degree but are intended to be an award verifying satisfactory completion of a prescribed program of study. Stand-alone certificate programs require BOR approval.
- Department begins dialog with the College Dean, Undergraduate Dean, and the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs to obtain permission to apply for a new certificate program.
- Department submits appropriate new certificate program proposal form (see note above) (and, as needed, new course proposal forms) to the appropriate curriculum committees (see “Review and Approval Process” tab).
- After UPCC/GPCC approval of certificate, department completes and submits new certificate program proposal form to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs; Provost's office sends the certificate proposal to the Board of Regents (BOR) for review and approval if it's determined to need BOR approval (see note above).
New Degree Programs (including new majors in an existing degree program)
- Department begins dialog with the College Dean, Associate Provost, and the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs to obtain permission to apply for a new academic program. Department submits the KSU Internal Review Questions to the Provost and Associate Provost for a recommendation on whether the department may move forward with a formal proposal.
- Department begins work and completes the BOR formal proposal form for Baccalaureate/Master's degree programs. The department also completes KSU’s new course proposal forms, if needed.
- The department submits the formal proposal (and new course proposal forms, if needed) to the appropriate levels of review (see “Review and Approval Process” tab).
- After UPCC/GPCC new program approval, department submits formal proposal form (and new course proposal forms, if needed) to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs; Provost's office sends the formal proposal to the BOR for review and approval.
Note: For institutions submitting proposals for new degree programs for BOR review, there was a two-step process (1. Submission of a letter of intent and 2. Submission of the formal proposal) in the past. As of January 5, 2010, there is a one-step process (submission of the formal proposal).
External Degree Programs (or Major Programs)
- If an existing program is expanded so that the program's offerings will occur away from the main campus (e.g., branch campus or other instructional site) or so that the majority of instruction occurs when the student and instructor are not in the same place and the instruction is delivered using technology (e.g., distance education), the department must complete the external degree proposal form and submit it to appropriate curriculum committees (see “Review and Approval Process” tab). Upon approval by the UPCC, the proposal is sent to the Provost for review. Upon the Provost’s approval, the Provost sends the form to the BOR for review and approval. If a new program is proposed that will occur away from the main campus or using distance education, both the new degree program form and the external degree program form must be completed and reviewed.
- If a new or existing program is expanded so that 25% or more of the instruction is away from the campus (including distance education), submit the SACS substantive change prospectus form to EIM.
Board of Regents Letter of Intent form for Baccalaureate and Master’s Degree Programs (includes KSU internal questions)
Board of Regents Evaluation Criteria and Procedures for Submitting New Proposals for Doctoral Degree Programs (Includes KSU internal questions)
UNDERGRADUATE FORMS (UPCC)
New Baccalaureate Proposal* - (choose Baccalaureate and Master's degrees forms)
New Certificate Program (associated with existing degree)
New Certificate Program (not associated with existing degree-requires BOR approval)
GRADUATE FORMS (GPCC)
New Doctoral Program Proposal* -(choose Doctoral degree form)
New Master's Proposal*-(choose Baccalaureate and Master’s degrees forms)
* The UPCC/GPCC new program proposal forms are identical to the Board of Regents formal proposal. The only addition needed is the program description for the catalog.