Leave of Absence and FMLA
Any time an employee will be away from work for an extended period of time (more than 5 days), he/she must request and be approved by HR for a Leave of Absence from the University.
Faculty Leave of Absence requests must also be approved by the President.
Types of LeaveTyTyT
- for the birth and care of a newborn child of the employee;
- for placement with the employee of a son or daughter for adoption or foster care;
- to care for a spouse, son, daughter, or parent with a serious health condition;
- to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition;
- for qualifying exigencies arising out of the fact that the employee’s spouse, son, daughter, or parent is on active duty or call to active duty status as a member of the National Guard or Reserves in support of a contingency operation.
- or up to 26 weeks for an eligible employee who is a family member of a “covered servicemember” with a “serious injury or illness”.
You are required to use your sick leave accruals while out on a medical leave of absence. If you have short term disability coverage, you must freeze your paid sick time while being paid disability. Once short term disability is exhausted and you are still out on leave, you can start being paid sick time. Once sick is exhausted, you may elect to use vacation hours. Hours will be utilized in whole day increments.
If you participate in the Donated Sick Leave Program you will not be considered to receive a donation until all of your own paid leave time has been exhausted and you do not have any Short Term Disability benefits.
- Careers at KSU
BENEFITS Quick Links: