What would you do if your bedroom caught fire?

Simulated dorm bedroom fire on Campus Green draws hundreds of students to watch and learn

Please click on the link below to watch a video of the training exercise by Audio Visual Technology Services.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/51543308

A fire safety demonstration in a mock dorm room on the Campus Green made it clear that time is of the essence when a fire breaks out. In less than a minute, the flame from a candle caught window curtains and then a bed on fire.

Kennesaw State’s housing, security and safety officials wanted to illustrate how quickly a small fire could get out of control. Personnel from the Cobb County Fire & Emergency Services dispatched from nearby Cobb Co. Fire Station 26 assisted.

“We take fire prevention seriously and teach all Kennesaw State residential students what to do in case of a fire,” according to Jeff Cooper, director of University Housing and Residence Life.

“All it takes for a fire to start is for a lighted candle to come in contact with combustible materials such as bedspreads, curtains, books or notebook paper. You may only have a matter of seconds to react before fire engulfs your room.”

In less than three minutes, the room was a total loss.

“People usually die from smoke inhalation before the flames ever reach them, said Cobb Co. Fire Lt. David Simister. “Working smoke detectors and quick response is the key to getting out safely.”

Big flames and thick smoke billowed over the structure. The heat was so intense some onlookers backed away from the safety perimeter.  

Simister then directed a firefighter to aim the spray of water from a fire truck’s hose on the blaze and the fire was extinguished.

“It takes less than two minutes for a single flame can grow into a raging inferno,” said Robert Lang, assistant vice president, Strategic Security and Safety. “We wanted to show our students, because seeing is believing.”

The early October exercise, watched by a crowd of about 300-500 students, was conducted during National Fire Prevention Week.

The mock dorm room was constructed from materials donated by the Home Depot.  

###

-- Robert S. Godlewski